Beginning with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, https://www.awrestaurants.com/ grew in to the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. Along the way it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. 100 many years of history is, well, lots of history. But here’s a good beginning.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with all the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it was the initial U.S. chain restaurant to grow to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is more than sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the first Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (invented by Dale Murder who became president and it is now chairman of the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the fantastic Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California is home to probably the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of any&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds available in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) You can find nearly one thousand A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 in the U.S.
On June 20, A&W had become the first American restaurant chain to transform 100. The very first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California in a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W has a long history of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration and also the third year it has partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV aspire to raise $200,000 for your organization, which serves multiple million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided approximately $6 million in direct advantages to veterans.
“Our partnership with AAndW keeps growing each year, and we truly appreciate its support for your ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs in our American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a century ago, so we are very glad to again be working with A&W on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised greater than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
Regarding AAndW – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, https://www.awrestaurants.com/ still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water along with a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries which are served in a frosty mug along side burgers, fries, chicken tenders as well as other All American Food® favorites. You can find nearly 1,000 locations worldwide.